AFSIC is the leading investment event focused on Africa’s financial services sector. 2019 Bookings are now open REGISTER TODAY!
Mark is based in Nairobi. He is Director of Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Africa, a regional financial sector programme, funded by the UK government’s Department for International Development (DFID). A key part of the programme is to work with private sector financial institutions, notably banks, to support innovation and help them build the technical skills needed to drive financial inclusion at scale. Mark also leads FSD Africa’s capital markets development work.
Mark’s early career (1989-2003) was in investment banking in the City of London (Close Brothers) where he advised growth companies on M&A and capital raising. However, he has now been involved in financial sector development in Africa for well over a decade.
• From 2004-2009 he was CEO of FinMark Trust, based in Johannesburg. Among donor funded financial sector programmes, FinMark was one of the first to pioneer a market development approach to building financial inclusion
• He then moved back to London where he became an independent consultant specialising in access to finance in developing countries, mainly in Africa.
• He joined CDC, the UK’s development finance institution, as Director of Investment Innovation from 2011-2012.
• Finally, he moved to Nairobi to head up FSD Africa in December 2012. Mark has written papers and articles on financial sector development and was commissioning editor for a 2010 book of case studies on financial innovation in Africa – Real Money, New Frontiers.
- Building prosperity through financial markets and institutions
THURSDAY 3RD MAY 2018 11:00 am